More Ways to Shop
Last Updated: November 23, 2022
- Personal Information we collect in our stores, on our websites, through our call-centers or through our repair centers, and the purposes for which we use it;
- Personal Information we collect in order to determine your suitability for employment if you apply for a job with us;
- Personal Information we transfer to third parties;
- for how long we retain your Personal Information;
- how we keep your Personal Information safe; and
- rights you have and how you can execute such rights.
“Personal Information” is information that identifies, relates to, describes, is capable of being associated with, or could reasonably be linked, directly or indirectly, to identify you. Examples of Personal Information include your name, email address, IP address, and mailing address.
1. What Personal Information Do We Collect, and How Do We Use It?
In order to provide you with our services and the full range of features, we and our service providers may collect and use your Personal Information (including your name, email address and IP address) for the following purposes:
- when you create an online customer account, to manage your account, to provide access to your shopping cart, to display purchased, reserved and registered products, or to present other products presumably of interest to you, to verify your identity if you forgot your password and to process your product reviews;
- when you choose to provide us further information, such as date of birth, address, personal settings, a wish list and your gender, to enable us to personalize both your profile and our recommendations for you;
- when you order goods online, in this case we additionally need your address, telephone number and payment information, to process your purchase, send you confirmation or back-in-stock notification and scan transactions for fraudulent activity;
- when you place products in your shopping cart, but have not checked out these products, we use your email address to send you an abandoned cart reminder;
- when you book a Virtual Shopping appointment with us, we ask for your name, telephone number, email address and shopping preferences to offer you a remote shopping experience. Additionally - to facilitate purchasing - you can leave a shipping address;
- when you order goods to be picked-up in one of our stores by someone other than you, we need contact details such as name and email address of the pickup person;
- when you purchase a product in a Fossil retail store and request an e-receipt, to process your request;
- when you participate in loyalty programs, recommend our products to others, redeem a gift card, or when we offer you discounts and bonuses etc. we use this information in addition to purchase-related information to determine whether you are eligible for additional discounts and special offers;
- when you share any pictures/materials with us for publication on social media for such publication;
- when you enter a sweepstake, contest/competition, or promotion sponsored by us to administer and promote the sweepstakes, contest/competition or promotion;
- when you return or exchange a product or when you send us your product for warranty or repair service, to process the request and any communication in connection with it;
- when you contact us to answer your requests, provide customer support and handle your inquiry; and/or
- when you use our live chat functionality, the Customer Service Bot (for additional information, go to Section 1.7 of this Policy), to assist you with your account, orders, website navigation and other inquires.
In principle (unless we have a legal or other legitimate reason to maintain it), we delete information related to you:
- upon your request,
- after expiry of the relevant legal retention period; and/or
- once we do not have any business purpose for retaining the Personal Information anymore.
In addition to those just described, we want to explain certain of our processing activities to you in more detail:
1.1 Recruiting Process
We process your Personal Information in order to determine your suitability for employment if you apply for a job with us. For the application process, we collect the information from your application and the information included in your CV/resume and cover letter, which may include contact details, academic background, job history, skills and competencies, as well as the IP address from the device you are applying from etc. Your Personal Information will not be kept for longer than is legally allowed, or as required by applicable law.
1.2 Video Surveillance
We process Personal Information gained from video surveillance in some of our stores and campuses for purposes allowed by law including security, loss and fraud prevention reasons. We share this Personal Information in the cases described in Section 3. The duration of the Personal Information storage depends on the governing national law, unless storage is otherwise permitted (see Section 4).
1.3 Interest-based Advertising
We may contact you for direct marketing purposes via email, mail, or other electronic communication methods (e.g., social media) unless you have opted-out from receiving direct marketing messages (for US customers) or with your consent (for Canadian customers). For certain types of direct marketing methods (e.g., text messaging, or in Canada, email marketing), we will obtain your explicit consent prior to sending you direct marketing messages. To select which marketing information may be of interest to you and to personalize ads and offers, we:
- use publicly available information (e.g., from your social media profiles);
- analyze your account information and how you use our services including our website, ads on third-party websites and our newsletter;
- use information of your redemption of a gift card, participation in a sweepstake, contest, competition, or survey;
- use information collected by our service providers or partners (e.g., Google); and
- use information collected when you request an e-receipt in our stores or fill out an onboarding form.
1.4 Cross-device Targeting
In order to save your preferences, analyze your usage of our websites, provide interest-based advertising to you and deliver tailored ads across multiple devices, we try to link the different devices you are using to you. Technically, we are storing cookies on all the devices you are using and link those cookies within our internal database.
1.5 Log files, Cookies and Similar Technologies
Every time you visit our website, our system stores Personal Information related to your browser, its version, the operating system of your computer, your IP address, date, length and time of your visit, the website you accessed before and the sites you visit following links on the Fossil page. We use this information for our legitimate security interest, and we delete log files without undue delay.
1.6 Website and App Tracking via ContentSquare
Our websites and apps use technology provided by a third-party service provider, Content Square, Inc. (“ContentSquare”), to track mouse movements, clicks and mobile interactions. The tracking data is securely sent to ContentSquare servers, where it is aggregated and prepared for analysis. ContentSquare then provides us with actionable insights and recommendations, which help us to improve our website and app experiences and better market our products.
1.7 Website Interactions
1.8 Your reviews and Shared Content
When you post a product or seller review or upload an image or other material to our website, or when you share content with us on third-party websites, such as social networks, we may publish and use this information on our website and third-party websites. Information shared with third-party websites is not necessarily under our control, and we do not control and do not assume responsibility for the use of that information by such third-party websites.
2. Where do we get Personal Information from?
Most of the Personal Information we process we received from you or your actions, be it because you entered the Personal Information during the registration process, placed an order, applied for a job vacancy or because we track your usage of our website, or newsletter, etc. However, we also may receive information about you from other sources, such as, other Fossil Group companies, and, if publicly available, from third-party websites. In some cases, we receive Personal Information about you from our service providers and partners, e.g., from Facebook, Google, etc. More information on our collection techniques is included above under Section 1.
3. When do we share Personal Information?
We will share your Personal Information in the following cases:
3.1 Legal obligation and internal purposes
We disclose your Personal Information
- in order to comply with relevant laws, regulatory requirements and to respond to lawful requests, court orders, and legal processes, including requests to meet national security or law enforcement requirements;
- in order to protect and defend the rights or property of us or third parties; and/or
- in an emergency, in order to protect the safety of our employees, or any person.
3.2 Joint processing within Fossil Group
Your information may be combined with other Personal Information that Fossil Group companies have obtained about you that might be covered by other Fossil Group Privacy Policies (e.g., wearable data, goods you have purchased on a different Fossil Group company website or from a Fossil Group store in another country, repair transactions). We may also make your Personal Information available to Fossil Group companies for analytic purposes, or if you apply for a job with us (for information about Fossil Group companies, click here www.fossilgroup.com). We base this joint processing on an intra-group agreement, allocating the responsibilities of the respective group entities. According to this agreement, each Fossil Group company will be responsible for the Personal Information processing related to its own business operations and will remain responsible for the Personal Information jointly processed with others. For you as our customer, this means that the Fossil entity you are in touch with is responsible for processing your Personal Information and answering your requests. If you are not sure about the entity responsible in your case, please contact email@example.com.
3.3 Links to Third-Party Websites and Services
On some pages, we allow you to share Personal Information with third parties, such as social networks like Facebook. In these instances, you are agreeing to the Personal Information being shared and the shared Personal Information being subject to the privacy policies of the third party. We do not control and do not assume any responsibility for the use of Personal Information by such third parties. For more information about the third party’s purpose and scope of their use of Personal Information in connection with sharing features, please visit the privacy policies of such third parties.
3.4 Third-party advertising
3.5 Public Disclosure
Any Personal Information that you include in the text of a product review may be made public in the product review section of our product pages. We may also make your wishlist public on our website when you enable this function.
3.6 Sharing with third parties
We involve other companies for the provision of services, who are allowed to use Personal Information only on our behalf and must not use it for their own purposes, unless permitted by law.
The following is a list of categories of services and functions, along with example recipients:
- to enable the functionality of our online application portals (e.g., IBM);
- to provide customer care services (e.g., Salesforce, 8x8, Transcosmos);
- to provide a virtual shopping experience (e.g., Squarespace);
- providing hosting and general IT services (e.g., Amazon Web Services and Google);
- using data cleansing and enrichment techniques (e.g., Acxiom Corporation);
- for social media services (e.g., Facebook or Google);
- providing payment services (e.g., PayPal, CyberSource);
- for transport and logistics services (e.g., FedEx);
- for direct marketing campaigns (e.g., Google, Facebook); and/or
- to administer sweepstakes, contests and competitions.
3.7 Transfer of Assets
We may transfer your Personal Information to a third party in the event of a transfer of all or some of our assets to a third party.
4. For How Long Do We Use Personal Information
We will retain your Personal Information as long as necessary to provide you with functionality and services as described above under Section 1, as long as reasonably necessary to further our legitimate interests or as long as we are required or allowed to by law. Examples include: to support a transaction with you, the defense against, or the establishment of legal claims and legal obligations (e.g., tax law, or the principle of accountability, which requires us to demonstrate that our processing complies with applicable data protection laws). In order to verify whether you opted out or in to marketing activities, for example, we store your respective choice (e.g., via a cookie or a declaration).
5. How Do We Keep Your Personal Information Safe?
We have implemented commercially reasonable physical, organizational, contractual and technological security measures with a view to protecting your Personal Information and other information from loss or theft, unauthorized collection, use and disclosure.
Despite the measures outlined above, no method of information transmission or information storage is 100% secure or error-free, so we unfortunately cannot guarantee absolute security. You must also do your part by keeping your password safe.
6. What Are Your Privacy Choices?
6.1 Access to and your rights regarding your Personal Information
If you have an account on this site, you have the ability to view and change the Personal Information you provided to us within the My Account section of the website and/or using the contact details in Section 11 below. You may access information we hold about you, request a correction where Personal Information is incorrect or a deletion of your Personal Information, unless we have to keep your Personal Information for legal reasons. We encourage you to address any concerns you may have regarding our use of your Personal Information by using the contact details provided below.
6.2 California Residents
The California Consumer Privacy Act of 2018 (CCPA) provides California residents with specific rights regarding their Personal Information. If you are a California resident, you have the right to request the disclosure of:
- the categories of Personal Information we collected about you;
- the categories of sources from which the Personal Information is collected;
- the business or commercial purpose for collecting or selling Personal Information;
- the categories of third-parties with whom we share Personal Information; and
- the specific pieces of Personal Information we have collected about you.
You have the right to request that we delete any Personal Information that we have collected, subject to certain exceptions defined in CCPA.
To exercise your access and deletion rights described above, you have to submit a verifiable request to us by (1) sending us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org or (2) calling us at +1 (800) 449-3056.
Have questions? We're here
to help. Find our phone
number, email address,
8am to 8pm CST, MON-FRI
9am to 7pm CST, SAT-SUN
Find a store closest to you
using our store locator.